Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Can Sew!

I've wanted to sew for a long time now and my parents gave me my sewing machine several years back, but between working full time and having three babies so close together, I just never got around to learning.  We also had a little more money when I was working full time, so if I saw a cute little outfit, more times than not, I could swing it financially.  Well, since becoming a stay-at-home-mom, my taste in children's clothes hasn't changed, but my wallet sure has! 

So out of necessity, but also a great want of knowing how, I have learned to sew!  I started out taking a sewing class at JoAnn's.  This first class was so basic...and just what I needed.  They actually showed you how to thread your machine and told me what the other parts of the sewing machine did!  It was a great class and I knew how to thread my machine when I left, but I still didn't know how to sew.  I registered for a second class at JoAnn's.  This was supposed to be a step up from the last class I took, but because they were taught by different people, much of the same stuff was covered.  I spent two and a half hours there and only stiched two rows on a piece of fabric!

However, on my way into JoAnn's for that second class, I ran into Mrs. Barbara Champlin...my sewing angel!  She is one of the very special ladies that teaches Alexandra's sunday school class.  She also had both Aubrey and Anna (we cheated a little and made sure that all of our girls were in this same SS class because we fell in love with all these ladies when Aubrey was a baby)!  She saw me walking in with my sewing machine and when I told her I was there for a class, she said, "You don't have to come here to learn how to sew.  I can teach you!"

I was on cloud nine, but now I had to figure out what to do with the girls for hours at a time to go and learn how to sew.  God is so good!  Another special lady that teaches Alexandra's SS class offered to come and keep the girls! 

So, I have been to Mrs. Barbara's a few times now and feel like I'm really starting to get the hang of it.  I definitely still need a lot of direction and tips on how to best do things, but I'm coming along with my sewing.  I tried my first solo project this past weekend.  I made Aubrey a pair of shorts with a ruffle!  I made my own pattern from a pair of shorts that she already had and they actually fit her! 


I have already sewn an aline top for Aubrey and I have to finish the pants.  I've also cut out several more patterns and the fabric is ready to be sewn!  The girls are going to my parents for the weekend and I plan on sewing, sewing, sewing!  I'll post more pics!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is so great! I wish I could pull that off. I used to think I could sew, but now I think not so much... :)

    What a blessing to have those sweet ladies help out like that! And to have a great new skill!

    ReplyDelete