Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Asparagus, Avocados and Blueberries...Oh My!

Another change in the Britt household since I've become a stay at home mom is that I'm making all of Alexandra's baby food. I can't believe that I didn't make my own baby food for Aubrey and Anna. I feel incredibly guilty about it now, but I had no idea how easy it was to make baby food...and how much cheaper it is!

For our anniversary a couple of nights ago, I cooked some asparagus for us to eat. Needless to say, Aubrey nor Anna would even consider eating it and Danny and I couldn't eat the whole bundle that I cooked, so I dropped the left over asparagus is the blender, added a little water, and viola...Alexandra has two meals of asparagus. I gave it to her the next day for lunch...and she ate it! Amazing! It wasn't her favorite, but when I alternated between the asparagus and the blueberries, she at a good bit!
I've also made pureed blueberries for her, which is interesting. I put them in the blender, skin and all, which means that she eats the skin...and poops the skin! Danny can always tell when I have fed her blueberries by her poopy diapers!

She wasn't too fond of the avocado, but we will try it again. Her favorite so far is CARROTS! Aubrey and Anna did not like carrots, but Alexandra can't get enough of them! Other items on her menu are sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apple sauce and bananas.
She's also had green beans once, and she refused to eat them, but that was also while she was teething, so I need to try them again. Other foods I'm planning on giving her are peas, spinach and I need to introduce her to meats.

A friend told me about a great website that gives you instructions on how to prepare all kinds of baby foods. Embarrassingly, I had no idea what a butternut squash looked like, much less how to even cut it open!
For once, the third child got the best!

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you are doing that, it's so rewarding. I got to do that a little bit for my Anna, but not as much as I would have liked.

    It's funny that carrots are her favorite. Carrots are almost banned for my babies because they are so very susceptible to the orange-nose syndrome caused by them and spinach. I also had to limit her sweet potato intake. She still has a little orange tint to her, but not as bad as her brothers had. Their 1st birthday pictures are so funny because of it.

    ReplyDelete